Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achnatherum

grasses in Florida ..... Grass Guy??

achnatherum
17 years ago

travelling thru Florida at the moment and wondering if there are any 'must see' grass plantings???

Have seen some wonderful plantings of Muhly in public areas - so pretty. I'm jealous.

a.

Visited the Marie Selby Botanic Gardens in Sarasota today - they have an amazing patch of GIANT bamboo :o)

Comments (8)

• donn_
    17 years ago

You mean you're missing all this cold weather???

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ah gee .... I'm missing cold weather???
    These are the Mulys I have been seeing along the way;

• donn_
    17 years ago

I have no idea where your're going in Florida, but in my opinion, the best place for a gardener to visit is the Edison & Ford Winter Estates. Magnificent gardens and exhibits. I believe it took some damage from the hurricanes last year, but if you're near Ft. Myers, it's worth checking out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Edison & Ford Winter Estates

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Drats Donn,
    Too late :0( We were in ft. myers two days ago and are now heading north. Heading for Callaway Gdns in Georgia in the next day or two. But thanks for the advice - I will keep it in mind for the next trip.
    a.

• grass_guy
    17 years ago

I'm sorry I missed this post. Lot's of great grass plantings around Florida. Commercially, you'll find lots of pennisetums, mulhenbergia, (of course pampas...yawn), some miscanthus. Native growing grasses include panicum, leymus, pennisetums. Sounds like you're through FL by this time and in GA now.

Callaway is really great. We go there throughout the year. We're heading up there for Christmas break in about a week or so. I haven't been there this time of year, so it'll be interesting to see what they have done with the ornamental grasses. They have a lot of muhlenbergia, chasmanthium, miscanthus, pennisetum, and carexes, among others. Very beautiful there!

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Back home now :o( - just got in today to piles of wet snow and most of my grasses flopped over. Guess this won't be an attractive winter for the grasse ...

Callaway was great! A bit chilly but still a wonderful place. Not grasses but, their festival of lights was really well done AND I just loved the rapter talk & flight that they put on.

We followed Callaway up with the Atlanta Botanical Gardens which was another amazing place. Can't wait to see it in the spring or fall and with more time than 1/2 a day to spend there.

re: grasses in florida
    I saw more Muhly than Pampas which surprised me
    And
    I saw very little use of New Zealand Flax, which also surprised me.

I am already missing the weather and would like to turn around and head back.

• grass_guy
    17 years ago

A.,

Just returned from Callaway ourselves. The fantasy in lights trolley was MUCH colder than expected. Word of warning to anyone going...dress warmly! The wind from the lakes was bitter, but maybe I'm just a spoiled Floridian.

We missed the 'birds of prey' show...well, we were there for it, but it had to be canceled...twice. Woodward, the bald eagle, had trouble landing on the perch in the wind, so he flew over the water to the top of a tree and sat for the rest of the day. The trainers called to him till they were hoarse, but it didn't help...he's pretty stubborn apparantly. They wouldn't let any other birds out while he was still out.

I did get some good pictures of some dormant ornamental grasses along the water and throughout the area, mostly miscanthus, some carex, some muhly, some pennisetum. I'll post a link to the pics when I get them online.

• achnatherum
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Grass Guy,
    I'm sure the trolly ride must have been REALLY cold. We 'toughies' from the cold north chicked out and drove around the display in our car with the heater turned up! Much warmer that way :o)
    It was a great display tho ....

A.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider
More Discussions