Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
profe_gw

ornamental/native grass garden as a memorial

profe
18 years ago

Hope someone out there can help me with this. I lost my wife recently to pancreatic cancer, and it is my wish to put in a memorial garden in her name. Because our home is in a fairly dry area (central Nebraska) I felt that a strong component in the garden ought to be grasses, but not exclusively.

Anyway, is there somewhere I can turn to get some instruction/ideas/models that would help me plan toward the spring plantings? Do you think that I would be better off bringing in a professional to do a layout study? I have no problem with that other than the expense. (No idea what such a service might cost, and in truth I would like to think that the more I did without such help, the better I would feel about the project.)

Bottom line is that I want it to be right.

Thank you in advance for any advice you might have.

Allan

Comments (4)

• donn_
    18 years ago

Allan,

So sorry about your loss, but I think your idea for a memorial garden is excellent.

Keep the idea of a designer in the back of your mind for now, and do some research on ornamental grasses and bed design/layout first. Go to the library, or a bookstore, and find a couple of good books on grasses.

The Color Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses, Rick Darke, Timber Press, ISBN 0881924644

The Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses, John Greenlee, Rodale, ISBN 0875961002

Read them and look at the photos of grasses and beds. You'll have a better idea of what they can do for you, and how they go together with each other and other garden plants.

Use Google and the web for more ideas. Many plant catalog companies include professionally designed beds and groupings that include grasses. One that I like particularly is High Country Gardens, linked below. They specialize in xeriscape gardening, and it's not limited to high elevation locations.

Finally, read back through this forum's threads, and continue to ask us questions.

Good luck and Happy Holidays.

Donn

Here is a link that might be useful: High Country Gardens

• jake
    18 years ago

Allan -

As with Donn's thoughts my prayers and dreams of good times remembered go out to you.

Think about your idea. Read books as suggested. Sketch a thought on paper. Visit grass beds currently in place throughout the growing season.

Live with your thoughts and dreams as you learn about the life of grasses. Once you see grasses doing their thing, consider their character and their response to the elements of wind, rain and sunshine.

Study their colours. Feel their texture and their inflorescence. Watch them move and dance to the music provided by the breeze that moves across your face.

Let the grasses stand as sentinels through the winter season to protect the memories of the past and to lead the way for the dreams of tomorrow.

Now you know what grasses are all about. Now look at your sketch and reevaluate its design.

Add the colour of perennials and annuals to announce to the garden that the grasses are making a statement and are waving good-bye to the dreams of yesterday as these dreams become the life we hold today.

Jake

• donn_
    18 years ago

Very nice, Jake.

• profe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to Donn and Jake for their excellent observations. The task has already begun. Now to get this winter impediment out of the way.

Sponsored
More Discussions