Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsteeves86

Planting Ornamental Grasses from Seed

bsteeves86
13 years ago

Anyone have any luck doing this? I just checked out hpsseeds.com but the grasses they have are only for zones 6 -9 and I am in zone 5. Anyone know of any other good places to order seed online?

Comments (6)

• donn_
    13 years ago

I've grown ornamental grasses from seed for years. It's easy.

The best selection available online is at Jelitto, linked below.

Some things to keep in mind:

1. Most of the exotic named cultivars you read about cannot be grown from seed. Usually, only the basic species will work. Your zone makes that even more true.

2. Sow clusters of seed, in controlled circumstances, so you are growing clumps of grass rather than individual plants.

3. Some seeds require cold stratification in order to germinate. Research this requirement online, and have a look at the Winter Sowing Forum here at GW.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jelitto

• cactusgarden
    13 years ago

Hi,

I'm growing grasses from seed this year. I got some nice ones from "Pase Seed" @ only $2.50 per packet (average). Each packet only contains about 20 to 50 seeds but unless you want a lot, this is fine. They had many that would work in your zone.

Jelitto is a highly rated seed source with the best choices but they are rather expensive and the site is difficult to order from as you have to change euros to dollars and order a minimum amount. The packet prices are expensive.

I read recently that you can experiment with grasses listed as hardy to certain zones and try some a zone warmer than yours because often you will have success as there are many factors involved. Zones are just a sort of average gauge to go by. With seeds, you can afford to do this. I sowed a couple of types listed as zone 8 in some sources while other sources has the same grass as low as zone 6. In other words, don't be intimidated. I have many natives growing that are listed as zone 8 growing successfully for years now. So much for strict zonal laws.

Another source is "Plants of the Southwest" which offers some really nice natives that are quite decorative especially when mass planted. They are only $2.50 per package and usually you get 200 seeds. There is no shipping cost.

Make sure your medium is sterile, non-soil potting mix, they tend to damp off otherwise. Cover your pots with clear plastic until they germinate and then uncover and give them some good light. Don't ever let them dry out completely. One day can kill. I am using a large south window to have good sized plugs by spring. I thought I'd started too soon but some are germinating and coming around so slowly, I'm glad I started early now.

If every seed comes up within three days or so and grows very fast, I consider it a probable invasive and don't plant it. Some need warm, then cool, then warm again. These would be best done as winter sowing.

Cool season grasses are especially good to start now. Warm season grasses are better started in Spring. I broke that rule too.

Also, some seeds take quite some time to germinate and then come up at different times so don't ever throw out your pots too soon. I have some Deergrass Muhly doing that. I sowed them in early October and I am still getting sporadic germination and very tiny, slow growing plants.

• steve22802
    13 years ago

Will Miscanthus sinensis 'Morning Light' and 'Variegatus' come true from seed that I save from my mature clumps? I get Miscanthus sinensis 'Gracillimus' self-sowing around my garden so I know that one will work.

- Steve

• donn_
    13 years ago

I'd guess it's unlikely. Even with 'Gracillius,' at least half of my volunteers are reverts to species Miscanthus, and have lost the fine-bladed characteristic. Other volunteers, on the other hand, have been almost perfect clones or very interesting variations. I have yet, however, to have a true-to-parent volunteer from any variegated grass.

• terrene
    13 years ago

I've started a bunch of native prairie grasses from seed, and it's easy. They were mostly warm season grasses, so I sowed them in early Spring in little clumps, and they sprouted by mid-Spring. I purchased the seed from Prairie Nursery and Prairie Moon nursery.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

I took a leap of faith last year and winter sowed Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln' seeds harvested from my own plants. I sowed lightly and have a couple gallon-size pots of seedlings set down in the garden soil to over winter. They grew to about 5" tall first year from seed so it's not a quick return on investment but I wanted to see what would happen. Initially at least they appear to replicate the parent.

There's not a lot of information available on the web about growing these from seed and what information is available seems to imply the seeds aren't viable. It would appear they are but what form the adult plant will take is still uncertain.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions