Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
selinap_gw

I need some advice on groundcovers

SelinaP
18 years ago

We live on a fairly steep slope on the Far North Coast of NSW. I want some advice on what are some good flowering, quick growing groundcovers that I can plant to completely take over this part of my yard so I don't have to worry about mowing or weeding. It is exposed to full sun and has a south/west aspect. I have planted some purple & white daisy things that are really thick and flower all the time and grow from cuttings (that's how I got them). Is there anything else out there that will put on a great display and needs minimal maintenance???

Comments (2)

• gshann
    18 years ago

I'm in the same boat. They blasted away part of a mountain to build my neighborhood about 3 years ago, and the steep slope that everyone on my side of the street has is quite intimidating. I have to put on my baseball cleats just to walk to the top!! Anyway, the landscaping was pretty shoddy, and the soiil is very rocky. They planted some grass that was supposed to grow to a certain height and then stop (perhaps some variety of Buffalo grass?), but there were so many weeds that took root (we back up to a forest, more or less). I am south facing, and even with the slope, the ground gets long periods of direct sun. I've read that traditional groundcovers like spurge and ivy are more partial shade to full shade plants, so I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm tired of trying to take out the weeds that take hold every spring, although I am quite interested in the insect life that I find in there.

• groundshero
    18 years ago

I've used a seed mix called "Fleur de Lawn".

It's a mix of lawn daisies, and dwarf grasses. In the summer it could be mowed maybe once a month. I've let it go all year in some places, without creating a wilderness.

Here is a link that might be useful: grass/wildflower mixes

Sponsored