Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground cover lawn replacement under water maples

Posted by newbie321 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 13:25

I have a large space between and around two water maples where I would like to plant a ground cover or two that will get rid of my grass and be hardy enough for my daughter to play on. Since it is under water maples, it gets shade but all of it is exposed to some sun at some point in the day. I live in zone 6. I have read about brass buttons, Irish moss and thymes. Would like to know what people with experience suggest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground cover lawn replacement under water maples

Had to look up what a "water maple" was - never heard that term before :-)

Larger maples tend to be rather difficult trees to grow anything under - a widespread, shallow and very greedy root system precludes a lot of opportunities. None of the suggestions you mention is ideal - what you really need to look for is something suitable for dry shade. Deadnettle or Lamium maculatum is pretty tolerant of these conditions but epimediums are the most often recommended choice. Not really very suitable for playing or walking on, however.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here