Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottage_garden

Groundcover with Personality?

cottage_garden
14 years ago

Recently decided to remove about 10 feet of grass in favor of groundcover. Now, I want to replace the area with a lovely groundcover that is not going to be too temperamental. The area is under a tree that receives lots of sun. The cover needs to go in between massive Arizona flagstone pavers. I was thinking of using Woolly Thyme but it sounds a bit more difficult to grow than desired, based on reading accounts by others. The area will receive moderate foot traffic so the plants really need to be hardy enough to continue growing, while not collapsing, when touched, kicked or bruised.

A neighbor has some lovely Antennaria which is certainly a consideration but my initial thought is to couple the pavers with something a little deeper in color. Someone suggested Vinca (which is pretty) but that stuff will take over my house. I mistakenly bought a six pack several years ago and never had a chance to plant it because it very quickly rooted itself next to the pond (where the purchased plants were merely sitting) and it is now the biggest nuisance in the garden. Ended up just tossing the purchased plants in the trash after realizing 'planting' them wasn't necessary and would only add to the invasion.

Someone also suggested gaillardia but that seems to require substantial thinning within months of planting. Ideally, I'd like to get something as low growing as possible. A flowering plant is an extra bonus but not essential. Thoughts?

Would love to hear any suggestions you might have. And thanks, in advance.

Julie

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus