Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa33_gw

Liriope Spicata...what to expect?

lisa33
14 years ago

This past September 1st or so I planted over 100 plugs of liriope spicata in the strip between the sidewalk and street in front of my house. The area receives full sun. I did not amend the soil, just ran a cultivator through it and pulled as many of the weeds/grass that was there as I could.

After planting, I watered them regularly for a while and they stayed green, maybe grew a little, but did not proceed to conquer the planet as I expected. They are still green looking after all this winter snow, but still not much bigger than when I planted them.

My question is whether I can expect them to "leap" in the spring and really take hold of the area, or if I should be considering plan B for that strip? I know they prefer part shade, and this area is full sun. Any thoughts? How bullet-proof is liriope spicata? Can I look forward to it taking off?

Thanks so much in advance,

Lisa

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

I think you are expecting too much too fast :-) A fall planting of liriope is not going to spread very much, if at all, over winter......it may not even spread very much after its first full year. "Conquering the planet" may take 2-3 seasons, perhaps more, depending on soil conditions and watering. Liriope spicata is very sun tolerant if it recieves sufficient irrigation.

• tina_2
    14 years ago

Hi - Yes, gardengal48 is right. I have lots of the
    l. spicata and it has taken a couple years to really
    take off. I am in z- 8 Texas. I have it planted in
    full sun and shade. Both have grown and taken off
    wonderfully! Goodluck - tina_2

• lisa33
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for the responses! It makes me feel much better.

I didn't expect that they'd grow during the winter (lol...they have been covered with snow most of the winter here). My confusing reference to them in the winter was intended to convey that they appear to be alive. I had read some things that lead me to believe that they could take over in a matter of a few months. I'm so glad to hear that it can take some time. I am definitely willing to wait.

Should I consider planting something else with the liriope that the liriope will eventually choke out? I am thinking of the inevitable and unconquerable weeds this year. Or is a pre-emergent advisable or would that harm the liriope?

Thanks so much again.

Lisa

• lesterd
    14 years ago

I've got another question, if someone could help. I'm in zone 5. This is the first spring for my liriope and now that spring is trying to stay here permanently, I'm wondering if I should cut my liriope back? Right now, it's looking a bit scraggly and brown although there is quite a bit of green to each plant.

Cut back or not?

Thanks.

• lisa33
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've read that you can either trim it back in spring or mow hard. Your choice.

I'm the OP and also have a follow-up question. My liriope is showing new growth--about one to two inches coming from the center of each. How hard should I battle the weeds that are filling in around it? Will the liriope win out without my intervention? The area is quickly filling in with low-growing weeds, which I've been working on pulling, but the little liriope plugs are easy to pull out accidentally.

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

• joyfulsong
    13 years ago

I planted liriope in clay soil last year. It grew quite strong this summer even though I did have to pull weeds from around it. Just be patient and try to keep it watered and weeded. It is well worth the wait.

Sponsored