Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodmanca

Vinca minor questions...

woodmanca
17 years ago

Hello,

We live in the Walnut Creek area of Northern California... We have a hillside that we need to cover for weed/erosion control and we're thinking about using Vinca minor. The area gets full sun; and no rain between late April and Oct/Nov; temperatures are moderate, but we have some days where it is well over 90F. My questions are first, will the vinca minor work in full sun..and if so, will it need irrigation after it is established? If it does need irrigation, can that be done as a drip irrigation..

Thanks for all responses!

Comments (2)

• gardener_sandy
    17 years ago

Vinca minor (periwinkle) requires partial shade and moist soil conditions to thrive. You might be able to provide the irrigation but the full sun would probably scorch the leaves and make it look shabby.

I would suggest that you contact your cooperative extension office for a list of recommended groudcovers for your area. Or a "good" nursery should be able to give suggestions. Just remember that nurseries are in the business to sell you plants so some might sell plants that are not the best choice for your location.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

I'd avoid the vinca - it's just not going to perform well in your situation and it's pretty ineffective for any kind of erosion control. I'd look at things like creeping/prostrate rosemary, Cotoneaster dammeri, Arctostaphylos, Pt. Reyes ceanothus or even groundcover junipers. All are extremely drought tolerant once established, do not need excessive irrigation to become established, will thrive in a hot sunny location and are woody-based, providing greater erosion control.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012