Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf mondo grass not growing well

Posted by siri3 South SF Bay (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 06 at 15:08

Hello,

We had our front landscaped in November. He put in dwarf mondo grass under our big cedar tree. There are about 6 inches between each small clump. The area is on a slope, with the tree (which has about 2 ft of river rock around it) two thirds up the slope to the fence. Above the tree, at the top of the slope, next to the fence, the grass is at least perceptibly growing - not much, but I do see growth - but below the tree, at the bottom of the slope, I can't reallly see any growth at all since November.

Is this because it's winter? (Mild - in SF Bay area) Or because the grass at the top stays slightly more moist? What's the governing factor in regards to growth? Light? Moisture? How long should it take for clumps to fill out that 6 inch spacing?

Many thanks,

Siri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf mondo grass not growing well

In Santa Cruz, it grows slowly but steadily. I have been able to grow and divide it for many years. It likes the summer best (of course) and I note little or no growth from about Nov - Mar. Give it a year or more to fill in.
Dave

o
RE: dwarf mondo grass not growing well

We planted dwarf mondo a couple of years ago in a large area that gets everything from full sun to shade. I was SO disappointed with it, as it just sat there looking pitiful. Finally, after much reading, lots of it on Gardenweb, I am having success. I have found that it likes LOTS of water, mulch, and food. I fed ours with Nursery Special this spring and will feed it again in July. It's spreading slowly, but it is spreading!!! I think next growing season it will totally fill in. I just wanted to share this with anyone out there who's frustrated: water, mulch, and food!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here