Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charles1218

Ground cover for edge of pond

charles1218
10 years ago

I'm looking for an evergreen ground cover for the edge of my 1 acre pond. The east side is sunny, and the west side is mostly shady in the afternoons. I need something that would hide a 2 inch white PVC irrigation supply pipe that circles the edge of the pond. One possibility would be to move a large batch of Liriope monkey grass that we originally originally planted as a border around a bed at the house, but has taken over the entire bed. I figure it would be less a problem if its growth is restrained by the pond on one side and the lawn mower on the other. I would prefer a native plant, but I don't know of any evergreens that would be as vigorous and would stand up to the droughts we have had the last few years in east central Alabama. Any suggestions?

Comments (3)

• livetogardenbypond
    10 years ago

I've been researching this very topic. I have a pond that has a berm rather than rock. I also want it to withstand occasional foot traffic. I can tell you some of the things I'm considering to give you a start. I already have lamium, easy to take cuttings and root. It's supposed to be best in the shade but if it's an established clump, it'll spread out into the sun. The reason I'm considering this as first choice is because when I moved during the fall, some lamium pieces ended up in the pond. When I was cleaning the pond in the spring, these pieces came up green and lively. Unfortunately, they did not immediately root into the ground. I've since learned to be careful transplanting things rooted in water to being in ground. Thing is, lamium is one of the few things that can grow on the dry side of the liner and will grow out over the edge into the water. I don't expect it to float well, but it will cover the edge nicely. A good ground cover for the shady area is creeping jenny. It LOVES laying out over the water. Mazus is another favorite, but not evergreen. My searches have found various rubus types of groundcover, said to be evergreen and will grow in your zone, lucky you. Most that I've seen aren't hardy in my zone 6 area. If you don't mind that the groundcover doesn't go into the water, check out heaths/heathers. You can have different ones and truly have year round blooms. I have helleborus doing nicely in a partially shaded area. There's also liriope and vinca. I don't know what type of an edge you have, but if it's a natural pond where plants can be dry and then swampy, check out lists of bog plants. OH, and bog rosemary might be a good choice. There are also various water mints that could spread nicely and stay around the edge. Do NOT, EVER EVER feel desperate enough to plant the plain green type of water celery. It will take over, it will fill your pond. OH, for the sunny areas, plant iris. They will fill out and the green leaves might stay greener for your zone. If you like day lilies, they love being wet.
    Hope that gives you some ideas.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

Partridge berry may work.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

Partridge berry may work.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner