Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snow in Summer on Slope? (Pics)

Posted by pamcrews 6 SW Missouri (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 08 at 16:16

I have a long and large steep slope on the back part of my yard that blends into garden areas and then grass. I thought Snow in Summer would be a great ground cover as I love the folige and flowers it produces. I'm concerned as I have heard so many negative comments on how it cannot be controlled. Any suggestions on what to plant on this slope for ground cover? Would Snow in Summer be a good choice? As you can see from the pictures lots of rocks. I live in Missouri where we grow rocks. Maybe something that won't die out in the winter. I've considered ivy but don't want to be a breeding ground for snakes.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Pam
Slope
Slope

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snow in Summer on Slope? (Pics)

Refer back to your previous question. This is from the Missouri Botanical garden:Plants are short-lived, and dead patches often begin to appear after several years. In St. Louis, foliage usually declines as the summer progresses. In other words in winter you will see dead plants as is the case with most flowering perennials.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

how about periwinkle?

o

Periwinkle can be invasive but why not you have a lot of area to cover, but keep track of it. Use staggered rows so it fills in quickly. Just make certain you amend the soil before planting. Euynomous would do as well, like Emerald Gaity, multi-colored leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here