Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spacing/planting question for 'Emerald Carpet Manzanita'

Posted by fogbelt_steve (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 3, 11 at 19:12

I bought a quarter-flat of "Emerald Carpet Manzanita" at the Nursurey this afternoon and would like a second opinion on how far apart I should space each little plant. The area I want to plant it in is about 2' wide, between a sidewalk and the south side of my house and about 10' in length. The area currently has a gravel "mulch". I also would like to know if it will be ok to leave the gravel in place.

From what I understand, the plant will get about 1' tall and can get 6' wide when mature. How much space should I leave between each little plant?

Thank you for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emerald Carpet Manzanita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spacing/planting question for 'Emerald Carpet Manzanita'

Guess maybe you have already planted this by now :-) While it does spread nicely, it is not the fastest growing plant and if you have a number already (quarter flat = 4 or 5 plants?), I'd just space them out so they are evenly distributed throughout the area to be covered (and not necessarily in a straight line).

FWIW, spacing of groundcovers has no hard and fast rules. Closer spacing typically results in faster coverage but with woody, evergreen plants some crowding may occur. One can always trim, however. More distant spacing just means one has to wait longer for the same effect but it will happen eventually.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here