Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steveberry

Is using clover as a lawn alternative a good idea??

steveberry
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm putting in a lawn alternative-- a low meadow made out of carex pansa plugs (dune sedge), which grows to about 6" tall, is sun loving, and is pretty droughty. However, I'm interested in mixing some stuff with it this time-- some sweet alyssum, perhaps some violets, and... perhaps clover.

I recently bought a packet of trifolium fragiferum (O'Connor's Strawberry Clover) from Pacific Coast Seed, and it seemed like a possibly good mix. However, I have 3 questions--

1) most sites online suggest using white dutch clover instead, as it's supposed to be shorter (4-6"), like clay, and is droughty. Is there something bad about strawberry clover? Invasive (by seed?), or too tall?? I don't really know what makes the two different besides the flower. and...

2) My wife is very concerned that if we don't like it, we'll have it forever and that it'll spread like wildfire. Basically, that it will be a pest that we'll rue for the rest of our days at this house. Are these legitimate concerns? and...

3) Are there any examples locally where I might be able to see a lawn made out of this (or with clover being a strong part of the mix)?? I live in Vallejo, CA in the Bay Area. The Solar Living Institute supposedly has a lawn of this stuff, but it's over 2 hours north of here.

I have wonderful memories of a bit of clover in my lawn as a child (besides the bees!), so I don't mind the naturalistic look or the flowers. The new lawn/meadow will be shaggy anyways.

I'd love to hear from some people with some experience with using clover. Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor