Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monocot

heat- cold- drought- wind- rabbit- resistant evergreen GC

monocot
18 years ago

looking for suggestions for tough bulletproof GCs for 4000' elevation in the mountains east of San Diego--close to high desert--need things that will look good year-round--

here are the hellish conditions:

--gets down to ~15-18o F in winter, up to 110o in summer

--rabbits rampant, & they chew stuff you'd think they would leave alone, such as Euonymus fortunei and Juniperus conferta, but they leave J. procumbens nana alone

--hot, dry winds periodically (Santa Anas)

--summer has a couple months of dry oven-like heat but there will be irrigation.

--topo: gentle to fairly steep slopes; plants need to have some height to cover the slopes well.

--must be evergreen; winter berries or other winter color would be nice

--need several types for several different slopes

What about Cotoneasters, some of the low spreading types? Sunset GG says some of them die off in heat (they distinguish 'horizontal' from 'trailing' types and say one type, I forget which, doesn't take heat well)

Other thoughts: Junipers (but need to be able to take heat), Vinca major, Euonymus fortunei (latter 2 if they will grow faster than the rabbits can chew), prostrate rosemary.

Comments (5)

• Josh
    18 years ago

Might try Rubus calycinoides. I have visiting rabbit but he leaves this alone. Roughish leaves and soft prickles on stem probably aren't appetizing. Lovely reddish to magenta tones in winter. It's supposed to have white blooms and red (I think) berries but not on mine.

Possibly your best bet will be to plant a variety of possibles, then after a year plant more of those which are thriving and seem to be bunny=proof.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubus calycinoides

• monocot
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, josh. Sounds promising. I will check into this sp.

I agree completely that what should be done is to plant small-scale test areas with candidate GCs, then monitor performance for a year, but the property owner would like to plant ASAP so I am trying to avoid a costly mistake. Very tough--I have tried several things that can deal w/the climate extremes but then the rabbits get them (who knew Euonymus or some junipers would be vulnerable???).

• Josh
    18 years ago

A few more I noticed while watering today that might do:

I grow Cotoneaster horizontalis variegatus in a 14" container in full sun and does well, but we have high humidity...might make a difference? The bunny leaves it alone too. Turns lovely shade of red in winter, but very few blooms and no berries.

Juniper 'Blue Star' in a low container with silvery-white Centaurea gymnocarpa 'Colchester White' and bunny ignores. Check out this Centaurea...it's the whitest filigreed leaf and evergreen here. Thrives in full sun. 30" high, 30" wide mound. Spreads from root but not as fast as some Artemesia.

Chrysanthemum pacificum (now I believe renamed Ajania) is lowgrowing but spreads well. Would flow over and follow contours of rocks. Tough plant almost evergreen...sort of curls up in Jan-Feb but already in growth again). Silver-edged crinkly leaf, small yellow button flowers in fall. And bunny ignores.

Trachelospermum asiatica probably grows too vigorously but a slower variant is Trachelospermum asiatica variegata gets about 12 in tall..takes full sun. Few blooms but the green/white leaves take on reddish tones in winter. Toxic so no bunny damage.

Haven't noticed bunny bothering my 30" clump of Rue. Ruta graveolens 'Blue Mound'. Mine is confined to pot but I believe it spreads if in ground. Nice blue foliage, insignificant yellow flowers. Don't believe bunny bothers.

Hedera canariensis variegata grows about 12" tall, large -about 5-6"- colorful evergreen leaves on red stems. Pink tones in winter. Can't swear to it but believe no bunny damage.

Have a Hypericum rather nice yellow flowers, leaves turn reddish in winter, grows about 2 feet tall and I've read that it will spread...mine's in a pot, but throws out 3-4 foot branches which I presume would take root if I didn't keep trimmed. Haven't noticed bunny damage.

All these are in full sun growing within sight of my back windows and I see one bunny once a week or so. so no guarantee but just my experience. Have lots of varied plants but these are strong growers most of which I've grown for years. The Centaurea is a 3-year "newbie" which I like better than any Artemesia which often don't do well in our humid summers.

Yes, I like variegated foliage! Smile. But I love foliage of all kinds more than flowers and so have lots of plain greens to set off variegation. You may want to stick to plain green version...they are usually even tougher and grow faster. Good luck with your project. josh

• monocot
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ooh, THANKS Josh! I will check out all of these. Would be great if the Cotoneaster functions well in my site because the property owner likes the look. Decorative in general is fine even if no conspicuous flowering or non-veriegated foliate (hey, I can't be picky given the site restrictions).

Thanks again for the suggestions. I am printing this thread out to go nursery-hopping

• hemnancy
    18 years ago

I would think Arctostaphylos uva-ursi would be good there. I have a gc that seems indestructible- gc comfrey, Symphytum ibericum. It spreads fast and has rough green evergreen leaves. It blooms in spring (now up here) with tubular flowers that go from pink, blue, to white. I don't water it in the dry season, it rarely looks wilted. It suceeds here in dry shade under cedar trees as well as on a dry bank and under apple trees.

You might just look at what other people there are growing and find it in a nursery.

Sponsored