Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauraeyes2

Groundcover along fenceline....need suggestions!

lauraeyes2
16 years ago

Hi all, I'm new to the forums.

My husband and I recently purchased a home in Southeastern PA. With the weather beginning to show signs of Spring, we have been thinking more and more about future outdoor projects we're planning.

Our backyard is surrounded by a wooden fence. On the outer side of fence, we have the neighborhood sidewalk bordering on one side. There is a 3-4' slightly sloping strip of grass between the sidewalk and fenceline. I wanted to fill in some or all of this grassy area with some kind of low-maintenance, yet attractive ground cover. As a corner property, This area of the fenceline lines the entrance into the neighborhood, so I thought it would be nice to dress it up and give more curb appeal to our home.

I'd like some suggestions for what I can use to fill in this area, since as a first-time homeowner, i'm new to picking plants for landscaping. Here are some criteria for what I'd want to fill the area:

-Area gets full/partial sunlight

-Area has good drainage, but has moist soil

-Prefer something that has flowers or some bright colors, but nice full ground cover

-Perennial (I don't want to have to keep re-planting the area every year)

-Something that would look attractive in the months when flowers aren't in bloom (some groundcover looks like ugly weeds or dead plants in the "off months")

-12" high or less

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Laura

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022