Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mountain Pink question

Posted by greenthumbs10 z5NY (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 08 at 9:34

Hello and (finally) Happy Spring! Just yesterday I sheared back my mountain pink . . . couldn't stand the raggedy looking clumps any longer. Then I sorted out anything that looked green, made little bunches, planted back in the soil and watered. My question is . . . will these still flower for me this season or did I blow it? I didn't see any flowers on the plants yet and it is still cold here (in the 40's) so I'm hoping that the flowers will still set on the old plants and that the new plants will get roots and catch on. Is this the correct time to prune these plants or would I be better off doing it after they finish blooming? Thanks! Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mountain Pink question

Hi Donna, Your mountain pinks(Phlox subulata)will always look burnt from the winter. They will green up and flower in the spring. It's best not to prune them unless they have outgrown their boundaries. Whatever you didn't prune will flower, because they set their buds the previous year.

o

do these get planted in the shade--- they are so pretty and my walk is sun in the am and shade around noon but some are also under some sycamores thanks lynn

o

mountain pink isnt turning green most looks brown and dying end of may other areas are flowering what should one do prune back ? see if they are going to green up pull out and plant new??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here