Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low maintenance groundcover for sunny spot?

Posted by bobby_c z7 DC (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 11:03

I have a sunny spot in front of some low spreading roses that used to be grass. I took the grass out a few years ago and planted a bunch of creeping thyme - it looked great for a couple of years. Last year it mostly died out and was taken over by weeds, I'm going to take that all out and replant something.

Any suggestions on something that doesn't need much maintenance?

Thanks!
Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low maintenance groundcover for sunny spot?

Hi, Bob,
I have a couple of ideas for you if there is still time (you haven't already done something else). Creeping phlox is a very hardy drought tolerant groundcover for sun. If your soil is on the dry and well drained side, it would edge your beds quite nicely, and it does spread, is semi evergreen, and puts on a great show in spring of solid color. It gets 4 to 6 inches tall and comes in white, blue and pink of various shades. Another couple of suggestions .. one is a bit invasive.. it is snow in summer, or cerastium tomentosum which has small fuzzy leaves and white flowers in spring. I haven't grown it, but it is quite hardy and spreads easily as I understand. Another one but which is taller, but might work for you is hardy basket of gold, (perennial Alyssum) Comes in a bright clear yellow flower in spring and after blooming goes to its fuzzy light sea green leaves for the rest of the year. It gets around a foot tall, so may be too tall for youl
Another good bet might be one of the ground cover veronica varieties,. One called Tidal pool is lovely and very fast spreading. About 3-4 inches tall, I think, and another is Georgia Blue and another is Sperry's blue.. All of them seem to love sun and spread very quickly and well. they all have blue flowers in spring. The foliage on Tidal pool is more quick to green up in spring and has tiny flowers. Check them out! Sure there are others, but these are a few that I know of.

o
RE: Low maintenance groundcover for sunny spot?

• Posted by raee zone 5 OH (My Page) on
    Mon, May 26, 14 at 18:37

I second the creeping veronica, also there is Adriatic Bellflower which is very similar. I have them both and they do very well here without being noxious.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here