Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantermunn

Ground cover thet can be driven on

plantermunn
19 years ago

I have a gravel drive with flower beds next to it. We some times have trucks in and out. So it gets driven on a few times a year.

I want something kind of low to the ground. It is in full sun .I was thinkink mint if it can be squished. Or just anything tough.

Comments (13)

• Ina Plassa_travis
    19 years ago

most of them bounce back pretty well- at worse, they're 'tire pruned' and grow back faster for it ;)

I've seen sedums, vinca, and creeping phlox bounce back...

and mint? jeeze- with mint, all you'll do is put more stem in contact with the ground, encouraging rooting!

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks China Cat. I already have some phlox and vinca. I will give them a go. Maby not the vince I want somethind real short.

• marniek
    19 years ago

There are some thymes that can tolerate infrequent traffic, ivy too. Mint will do the trick for you but you'll have mint all over the place!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    19 years ago

LOL, Keithdirt! I knew your description sounded too good to be true!

:)
    Dee

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I decided not to try the mint. I did buy some thime.Spred out some of my phlox. Sedums dont do well there. To mutch clay. How long will it take to grow 600 feet of phlox.lol
    A big sprig makes about 6 in a year divided into 5 big sprigs second year 6in x5 x 25 x 125 x x625. 600 feet X by 12 in = I would be old by then. I better start with a flat.Or 2.

• redants
    18 years ago

I have heard Brass buttons can be driven on a couple of times a day and still do well.

• Stellinate
    18 years ago

You might try some lemon balm. Mine is not invasive like the mint. We don't drive on it but .....kids, dogs......even mow it down once in awhile and it smells good when you do any of those things.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    18 years ago

Hi Planter,

I know your original post is over a month old, but since you have such a big area, I figure you might still be looking for more.

If you're trying thymes, the one that will work best for you is woolly thyme, Thymus Praecox 'Pseudolanuginosus'. It stays very low, gets pretty lavender-pink flowers, and is drought tolerant and tough. It tolerates regular foot traffic quite well, and is often used in the cracks between bricks and stones on walks and patios. Unless it's every day, driving on it shouldn't have much effect at all. It spreads easily, and once it starts to spread, you can easily take 1" plugs out of the middle of it to spread it even further.

And if you've decided to try any of the Taraxacum officinale, I'll be GLAD to ship you as many as you want---FREE--and I'll even pay the shipping! Thanks for the great laugh, Keithdirt. I think we need a few more comedians around here---some of these folks are just a little too straight laced. Gardening is supposed to be fun!

Happy spring all,
    Skybird

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got some lemon thyme and a green one. I will try a woolly one too. I am just going to try lots of things.
    I have bought lots of different sedums.I am picking them apart and makeing lots of starts. I will try them over there and see witch ones make.

I am going to plant the stripe down the middle where the grass grows too.

But not mint.I started to pull some up that i planted last year. The roots were about 3 feet long. If i keep it it will be in pots.

• plaidthumb
    18 years ago

Okay, I'm new here--I'll bite...just what is Taraxacum officinale??

18 years ago

Click on the 'Happy Spring Flowers" link, 7 posts up.

Smile,
    Skybird

18 years ago

Planter,

When you're dividing the sedums, any peices that break off--without roots--group them in little batches of 4 or 6 and stick them in the ground. Water them once or twice a week, and in a month or two they'll have roots and be spreading too. As long as they're long enough to stick them a half inch or so into the soil, that's all you need. If the ones you got are long enough, you can give them a haircut and do this with all the pieces you cut off too. A lot of the sedum's will work, but I think some of the "fleshier" ones will get too squished to recover easily. Also, FYI, a lot of the sedums are evergreen.

Have fun,
    Skybird

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm