Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

Purpleleaf Euonymus

katrina1
18 years ago

the commonly sold Euonymus fortunei 'coloratus' is recommended as a good groundcover for a Hally Jolivette flowering Cherry tree, I am about to plant. I saw this recommendation on the Monrovia web side listed under the companion plants for this tree.

The problem is that when I researched this groundcover it seems like it spreads by seed and above ground runners. It is even found on a Missouri invasive plant list. They state it is highly invasive and crowds out native species in naturalized settings.

These two sources have me a little confused. Would this Euonmus evergreen ground cover be a pesky invasive in a midtown area where lawns are kept mowed, and where the only naturalized areas are along the express way which is just over one mile away? I know the runners will root above ground where ever they make contact with the ground, but wouldn't one who keeps their bermuda grass very short, especially adjacent to this groundcover, essentially keep those runners in check?

My concern is that I would love for the stuff to climb up a 4 foot tall chainlink fence, and fill-in as a groundcover on the 4' wide strip along the driveway, but I do not want to cause probems for the neighbor's yard which is adjacent to that fenceline. They are the ones who cut their bermuda and fescue grass very short.

Has any one ecountered this groundcover as being invasive in their reasonably mantained, residential neighborhood yard?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions