Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_novice

Irish/Scotch Moss

rachel_novice
17 years ago

Hi!!

I live in Zone 6... I am thinking of planting some Irish /Scotch Moss between the stones on my patio... The patio is under a deck, and there is also a tree in the backyard, so most of the patio is shady, some areas more than others... Any sunlight would be dappled at most... My question is: Do you know if the Irish /Scotch Moss will take/thrive under such shady conditions??

I am looking to replicate the look in the attached picture... Can you suggest an alternative to the Irish /Scotch Moss (with the same grassy look, mat-like texture and height)?? Has anyone had any success with growing Veronica repens Sunshine as a groundcover??

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:599786}}

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

Irish/Scotch mosses are not really mosses at all and need different conditions from mosses to thrive, primarily a good deal more sun. A similar looking alternative for a shadier condition is rupturewort, Herniaria glabra.

All forms of Veronica repens make very nice groundcovers, but are not going to provide a look very similar to the one you linked. 'Sunshine' does need a fair amount of shade or it will scorch and brown.

• HerbLady49
    17 years ago

Try growing a small plant to test. My Irish Moss "Minuartia vera" grows best in my dappled shade. I have found that the area that does best is where it gets more water. If the area is too shady than try real moss. There are great sites that will tell you how to grow it. I know that a small portion of collected moss is ground up with some yogurt and sprayed on the area that you want it to grow. The spors take over quickly. I've visited a moss garden and it was absolutly beautiful.

• shadygarden_CO
    17 years ago

Rachel, I live in Zone 4 (Denver area)and last year I planted several different groundcovers. I planted Irish Moss in an area between pavers that gets dappled sun, not a lot of sun, and it is my favorite of all the ones I planted. I love it. I don't know how much foot traffic it will take, as where I planted it doesn't get much.

• ozmirage
    13 years ago

Neither "Scottish moss" nor "Irish moss" are mosses, so growing instructions suitable for mosses are not advisable for them. They are both varieties of the genus Sagina, which is a member of the Pink family. Saginae are native to cool windy moist climates. They thrive along the western seaboard of the British isles and on the US coast in Oregon. If you live in a hot-summer area, you should avoid them, and even in more moderate climates they will prefer shade and moisture. Think grottoes or shaded pools.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sagina varieties

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

They don't do well in less than full sun for me here in Portland. They get really stretched out and scraggly looking in partial sun. Your mileage may vary.

• merryrose
    13 years ago

Hi All--Just stumbled onto this forum. I spend a lot of time on winter sowing forum. I've been trying to find out if anyone has had luck growing woodland ground covers from seed (especially winter sown). I have a large, new woodland garden with far too much dirt showing. I did get Irish moss to grow with winter sowing--bloodroot no. Any thoughts?

Sponsored