Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keeval_gw

Groundcover to replace lawn - Mazus Reptans?

keeval
12 years ago

My first post, so please bear with me.

I have a strip of lawn, bordered on one side by the driveway and on the other, by my neighbor's fescue lawn. At the mailbox end is a small garden. The other end runs alongside the house (north side) and is mostly shade. I want to replace the grass with groundcover. I plan to use Corsican Mint in the shady area, where we will put in a stone path that leads to the back yard.

For the front portion of lawn, which I'm guesstimating is about 25 ft. long by about 4 ft. wide, I'd like to find a groundcover that is evergreen, not invasive and will tolerate some foot traffic (though not a lot). I'm considering Mazus Reptans (maybe the Alba). I should note that I also seriously considered various Thymes, but don't want to attract the bees...kids and dogs are a consideration.

Will this work well for my needs? Will I need to plant a barrier between the groundcover and my neighbor's fescue? What about between the Mazus Reptans and the Corsican Mint?

This will be my first time trying groundcover, and I am anxious to get started. Thanks in advance for all help and advice!

Comments (6)

• Betsey Thompson
    12 years ago

I don't know much about it, but I just looked it up, and it's very pretty. I am also looking for a lawn substitute. I'm in NJ.

• keeval
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I decided to go with it and just bought my plants yesterday, because they were half price. I've got a lot to do to prepare the area first, though. I'm hoping maybe these will go into the ground within the week. I bought the purple, but had been hoping to find white. I did find white at my local farmer's market, but they were more than double the price of the purple, so I may just pick up a few and mix them in.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    12 years ago

I put mazus reptans down in an area that's full sun. I was sent the wrong plant and didn't realize it at 1st. It filled in very quickly and is beautiful. It forms a VERY dense carpet that smothers everything. I love it. It did get watered often bc I had my annuals hanging over them and I watered the annuals frequently but once it established it was good to go. I'm actually looking for more places to put it. It did very well with light foot traffic.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    12 years ago

Sorry, I should add I'm in zone 6/CT. When I say it smothered everything I really mean that no weeds had a chance to get through. And even though it spread quick I was able to keep it in the area and it didn't overtake my grass. Maybe in time it will though. It is so dense that if I try to find the soil through the plant, I can't. The purple flowers are pretty and they are sporadic throughout the growing season. I have children and dogs too and it works well for me. Good luck.

• keeval
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GreenHavenGarden, thank you for the reply! I'm so happy to hear this. I want low maintenance, so do want something that will grow thick enough to keep the weeds out. Running down the length of this area is a berm...a real hassle to mow, water, etc. I'm really hoping the mazus will look nice and be easy to maintain.
    The guy who marks the underground lines came today. Once I get the grass out and some soil conditioner in (we have heavy clay soil), I can get those plants in. I'm hoping to be planting next Wednesday or Thursday.
    I really appreciate your input and now I can't wait to put these plants in and watch them grow!

• mistascott
    11 years ago

Any update on how this is going?