Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_softball

Groundcover suggestion under California Box Elder, walkable?

linda_softball
17 years ago

I have probably at least a 100-year-old California Box Elder that I am told is considered a "weed tree." They are very messy and supposedly are usually found around water (i.e. streams). I am told by an arborist that this is not a tree you would normally choose for landscaping, but what did people know 100+ years ago? (Ha!) Anyway, I have a small "lawn" area, although never have been able to grow much of a lawn. It is very patchy. Admitedly, I have never rototilled or prepped the soil for a proper lawn. I just didn't think it was worth the time, given the shade problem in summer. The tree leafs out beginning in late March/April, sheds flowery stuff and some leaves a month later, and then literally begins losing some leaves in July/August with virtually all gone by September. As I said, it is messy, so the groundcover would have to be rakeable.

The patch is probably only 15' x 20' max, and that could be an overestimate. I would like a groundcover that can take light traffic, maybe even moderate, that preferably would stay green in winter. I live in the California foothills ("the Gold Country), zone 7, about 2400-foot elevation. As you can gather from my description, I am not looking for something like a vinca but rather a more matted groundcover that would cover the dirt. Does anything exist and if so, how would I prepare the soil?

Thanks so much,

Linda

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County