Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
short paths in the woods

Posted by vanessasj cincinnati oh 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 07 at 14:28

Hi,
I'm trying to make short paths in the woods in the back of my house. I'm looking for some sort of grass or graund cover where we can walk on like the grass of the lown.
Do you have any idea ? In many spots there is moss on the ground. I don't want to use gravel becouse to me take away the natural look and I don't want to use moulch becouse then you need to replace it every year.
Hope you can have some suggestion.
Thank you
Vanessa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: short paths in the woods

Moss is nice underfoot, though it won't take a lot of traffic. I don't know what you'd need to do to encourage it to grow. Have you seen pictures of Japanese moss gardens? They're beautiful.

I lived in the woods for years and can tell you that whatever you put down will be covered with twigs, leaves and dirt in no time at all.

Everytime I see a picture of a perfectly groomed woodland path in a magazine, I laugh thinking of how much time must have gone into cleaning it up. Unless you want to do the same, your best bet might be to chew up some leaves with your mower and spread them--not too thick, though, or it will be difficult to walk over them.

You probably will have to run a mower along the path occasionally to keep it clear of brush and saplings (unless the path is used a lot), so keep that in mind when you decide on what to use.

Enjoy your woods! I sure miss living in that kind of environment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here