Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Groundcover to camouflage culverts?

Posted by trilby23 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 08 at 14:50

Hi all!

I posted this question to the Tennessee forum before I realized there's a separate forum for groundcovers, so please forgive the duplication. I've lurked here for a while, and I post in the Home forum, but I've only just started posting in Gardenweb. I should come clean right up front and say that I've never done any gardening at all, or ever planted a thing in my life except tomato plants, and those always died (I'm a serial murderess of tomatoes!)

Now we're in the process of building a house in East TN (Zone 6), and when we put in the driveway, we had to install a couple of culverts. Now we're trying to decide what to do to disguise them! We've pretty much decided on river rock all around the things, and I want some kind of perennial ground cover in and around the rock that will look nice as much of the year as possible. I would LOVE to have something that flowers, but it's more important that it be incredibly low-maintenance -- it's pretty far away from the house, and I know that weekly weeding and weed-eating just won't get done. And, of course, it needs to be able to grow in good old East Tn red clay!

The ground is North-facing, the part around the culverts is of course fairly steep, and it will be in full sun most of the day. So far, the candidates I've found through some research are Creeping Phlox, Ajuba, and possibly Wooly Thyme. There are a lot of deer in the area, so Sedum is out. Here are links to a few shots:

(Hopefully this is a link to the photos of the culverts)

Any comments, experience, suggestions? Any help or words of wisdom will be most appreciated!!

------------- Trilby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Groundcover to camouflage culverts?

Creeping phlox is great in the spring, but ugly in winter. Must you use a perennial? It doesn't look as if there is a water source close. How about evergreen woody plants? Two of my favorite is Euonymous Emerald Gaiety and Juniperus ... Blue Pacific. Just make certain that whatever you plant that you dig the hole twice as deep and wide, mix existing soil with either compost or manure, shovel the mix into the hole so that the plant is at ground level, after throwing in a handful of bone meal, and haul water for the first 3 weeks, two times a week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here