Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Groundcover for shaded urban backyard (postage stamp)

Posted by hilaryanne 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 23:21

I live in a 1910 six flat condo building in Chicago. Every spring/summer we struggle greatly with our postage stamp grass backyard. We cut it in half to put in bark chips for a play structure, but the other half we really would like a nice groundcover. We have grass, but it is sparse and basically dirt come every spring. There are three huge 100 year old trees in the small yard, so by june there is no sun whatsoever.

What can we try that will grow in the shade? Also, it gets a LOT of foot traffic - there are 2 dogs in the building and 7 children. It's our only outdoor space.

Please help!
Thanks, Hilary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Groundcover for shaded urban backyard (postage stamp)

I have had huge success with euonymus fortunei (wintercreeper). It forms a dense ground cover that is highly tolerant of foot traffice. It's evergreen (some varieties turn purple in the winter), easy, easy maintenance, very shade tolerant (mine is on the north side of the house) and can be trimmed nicely to have a 3-4 inch high endge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here