Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Need help deciding on an Ajuga for a ground cover!

I am looking for a groundcover for a morning sun area. I've settled on Ajuga: but which one?

I saw Ajuga Mahogany at a botanic garden. (I have Ajuga Chocolate Chip in another garden, and have not been that impressed with it. It has not filled in at all. It also has narrow leaves, which I do not like much. )
But the A. Mahogany was short (~ 3") and very full, with rounded textured leaves, which I liked. It is also a brownish purple that would go GREAT with the heucheras I have. The flowers are secondary: it's the color and shape of the foliage that matters most. That garden is all about contrasting foliage colors, so the darker the ajuga is, the better.

I will need a lot, so am looking for a place that sells it in quantities of a dozen or more. I have not been able to find Ajuga Mahogany in bulk.

A bareroot field grown nursery I've used before offers only 1 ajuga, which is "atropurpurea". I am having a hard time finding photos of this to compare. I did find Ajuga Black Scallop in bulk. It looks like I will be able to save a lot of money if I go with A. atropurpurea, but don't want to be disappointed if the color is more green than purple/brown, or if it has skinny leaves, as Chocolate Chip does.

If anyone grows any of these and can compare and make suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Thank you!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms