Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Long blooming?

Posted by Ibanez540r none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 8:21

Is there something similar to creeping phlox that blooms throughout the season or close to?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long blooming?

rock cress - Aubrieta cultorum

o

None of the aubrietas will bloom for much longer than the phlox - all are considered to be mid to late spring bloomers.

FWIW, most perennial groundcovers will have a relatively limited bloom season - that is just the nature of perennials. They bloom for a couple weeks to a couple of months and then are done for the season. Annuals - with that biological urge to reproduce within the growing season - are generally the only plants with a season-long flowering period.

If you want a growing-season-long bloom period, you may have to consider a sequential assortment of flowering groundcovers. If you provide your location and sun conditions, perhaps we can get more specific.

And while it is not exactly considered a groundcover, the hardy geranium 'Rozanne' grows virtually throughout the US and in both sun and light shade and is recognized as having a very long bloom season. But it is more of a sprawling perennial than a true groundcover.

Here is a link that might be useful: Geranium Rozanne

o

Green & Gold (Chrysogonum virginianum) is one of the few long-blooming groundcovers though it hardly resembles phlox (yellow flowers) and it doesn't form a carpet of flowers like phlox. Blue Star Creeper (Isotoma fluviatilis) also produces (rather small) flowers for an extended period. Lithodora has a decent bloom period too -- spring into early summer. Plumbago resembles phlox but blooms late in the season so it makes a nice complement to creeping phlox.

o

Verbena Sissinghurst is the ticket! I planted this in my former Zone 6 garden and it was a reliable perennial and bloomer year after year. Drought tolerant too. You've got to like bright pink, however, because this variety comes only in pink.

There are numerous other varieties of ground cover verbena that come in other colors (in the blue, pink, red, white part of the rainbow) but in my experience, Sissinghurst is at the top of the list. No mildew, mites, etc. which I've encountered with other varieties.

June

Here is a link that might be useful: Verbena Sissinghurst

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here