Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
source for wooly thyme

Posted by hoover67 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 05 at 9:33

I need lots of these. I am putting them in a path leading to the garden. I have bricks there now but the roots keep pushing them up. I thought I would lay squares of bricks here and there to actually step on and have the wooly thyme between them.

Is this the best choice - can handle them most foot traffic?

I would love to find plugs. Paying $3.99 for each at the local garden center is too expensive. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: source for wooly thyme

http://www.stepables.com/viewplants.htm

but I don't know how big their plants are...

you might want to consider growing from seed, if you really need a LOT of them...

around here, I've had better luck getting herbs from farm markets, where they're a buck a piece, instead of three. you might wind up with lemon thyme instead of wooly, but thyme's thyme, especially when you're short on it, eh?

o

I wish that I could help you---There must be sources that sell groundcover plugs to the public----Hopefully someone here will know about some. Wooly thyme is so beautiful....We have a house on Nantucket where it grows between the stepping stones so easily....Here in Connecticut where I live, I have never been able to get it to last more than a couple of weeks.
On Nantucket, I found a local nursery who sold it, and I bought 10 quart containers. Using a very sharp knief, I cut these into one inch squares which I put between the stones. In two years it has grown to a most beautiful patch which to me looks like a river...But, again, in Connecticut I could not even get a patch live let along multiply...soil really is everything...good luck to you, Molly

o

• Posted by jgandy Chicago, IL (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 28, 05 at 11:42

I bought mine from Bluestone Perennials. Good quality, they came in yesterday.

o

jgandy,
was you happy with bluestone, I was thinking of ordering from them. how was the shipping charges and quality of plants? you should try graceful gardens. They were great
shelly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here