Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ajuga vs Vinca Minor

Posted by JoyBee none (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 9:56

Hi, I have been working to create a perennial garden in the small front yard of my row home. The yard is approximately 12x12 and gets a combination of full sun and shade.

So far I have planted a couple of evergreen shrubs, salvia, cornflower, peonies, hostas, irises and bulbs. I am looking for a fast growing, evergreen ground cover to both fill in the spaces between plants and provide some interest in the winter when the other plants have died back.

I have been looking at Ajuga and Vinca Minor as two possibilities but I am open to other suggestions as well. Which do you prefer?

Should I be concerned that either of these ground covers would "choke out" my existing plants?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ajuga vs Vinca Minor

Vinca is a shade groundcover. Won't be happy in much sun - grows slowly and gets very chlorotic. Ajuga prefers some shade also but can tolerate a sunny position if adequately moist. But both can be pretty aggressive and that is a very small space that you already have a good many other plants in.

You don't indicate where you are located or what zone you are in but there are a number of spreading perennials that would serve your purpose yet not spread aggressively or smother/overgrow other plants. Not all of these will work in all zones but research and see what you like and what may work for you. Most are evergreen. And they are often planted as edging plants in perennial borders, with larger growing perennials, shrubs, etc. behind them. A few of these and some mulch and your soil should be adequately covered and offer a presentable look in winter.

Helianthemum nummularia - Sunrose
Iberis sempervirens - Candytuft
Cerastium tomentosum - Snow in Summer
Stachys byzantina - Lamb's ear
Veronica peduncularis 'Georgia Blue' - creeping veronica
Abrieta deltoides - Rockcress
Thymus citriodorus - Lime thyme
heaths and heathers
Lithodora diffusa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here