Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting English Ivy

Posted by mspringer 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 05 at 9:59

I've just come across someone at my work who is trying to remove his bed of English Ivy and I just happen to be in the market for ground cover.
Can someone tell me the best way to romove and plant English Ivy?
Is it just using a shovel to take the top 2" or so of dirt and then shake most of the dirt off to get the relative bareroot of the plant?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting English Ivy

Keep a bit of the dirt. Or bare root, it doesn't matter. It won't do much this year, next year it will grow a bit, and three years from now you'll have plenty to pass along. I usually recommend one of the smaller ivys, variegated, they're slower and easier to control.

o
RE: Transplanting English Ivy

When I put english ivy in, it was under similar circumstances. A friend was tired of it and so gave it to me, pulled up rather unmercifully, and packed to me in plastic grocery sacks. You will not get the long vines to lay down well so I weighted the pieces down here and there with rocks and bricks and then watered it very well for a few weeks. The stuff was very tolerant. Prepare your bed so that the tiny roots can get to the dirt, keep it watered and in touch with the soil several places, and the ivy will do the rest. (you really don't have to dig out your coworkers bed - just pull pull pull)
I agree with the above post. It won't do much this year or next (if it remains green, you have been succesful). Time will take care of it and everything nearby will be covered in ivy in a few short years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here