Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
layneev

Lazy Phlox Grower Needs Advice

layneev
19 years ago

Hi, all. I'm planning to plant phlox stolonifera beneath two big maple trees in my back yard, as ground covers. Right now there's a bit of moss, a bit of scraggly grass, a few weeds and few struggling crocuses. My question is, how much ground clearing do you think is necessary here before I plant? Do you really think it's necessary to Roundup and/or remove everything there now? I was thinking of just tucking phlox plants in, planting pretty closely, adding some compost and mulch and hoping for the best. I always read that if you're going to plant ground cover you have to scrupulously remove everything there first, but I have a lot to plant this spring and I'm looking to cut any possible corners! It's not JUST a question of being lazy (although there is that:)) it's also fear of disturbing the roots, and dislike of Roundup, and one of the trees is very near the terrace so it would be a bit of a mess to clear it completely down to dirt. Anyway, any advice on necessary ground preparation for phlox stolonifera would be welcome. Thank you.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting