Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westfieldma

Crown Vetch Failed! - Hydroseed again?

westfieldma
17 years ago

Here is the ultimate groundcover puzzle and I have about three weeks to decide whether spending $1000 to hydroseed is sending good money after bad.

My house is cut into a hillside. The back and side face a 50 degree plus slope with a Northwest exposure to wicked winter winds. Four years ago, in a panic to nail this bare hill down and protect my new construction home, I paid someone to hydroseed the 150 ft long, 75 ft high hill with Crown Vetch. The plant was tall and yellow, not at all like the purple that I see on the internet descriptions. It survived the first winter but gradually died off and I am back to a bare hillside with some significant erosion issues.

The soil is acidic with a lot of moss on the lower slope and full sun in the heat of summer. Rock covered with lots a clay.

The landscaper just runs the machine. He used Crown Vetch because his supplier told him "everyone does."

So here is my question: I can have my hillside hydroseeded for the cost of material. Figure about a $1000 budget. Is there a hardy, New England "groundcover cocktail" that I can mix up to secure the hill under these conditions? Or should I spend my $1000 on the beginning of a multiyear plan to plant Junipers along the crest and other stuff below?

BTW - Professionally terracing this hill would run over $50,000 and the thing is mountain goat steep!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments (5)

• three4rd
    16 years ago

I'm surprised you lost the crown vetch. In my area, this is a pretty invasive plant and pretty tough to kill. Then again, I, too have tried to get a bank of them going, and they seem to grow everywhere BUT where I want them to. That being said, these are a pretty tough plant with roots that really run and will take over an area fairly quickly. I think the key to your problem is the acidic soil. The hill area you describe is pretty big..otherwise I'd suggest trying some rhododendrons and azaleas. The wind might be pretty tough on them though. How about pachysandra as a ground cover??? I intensely dislike this plant, since it IS an incredibly prolific groundcover that will virtually choke out anything else in it's path. So, if you want it, know that you will also not grow anything else there. It MAY well be what you're looking for. It is truly an indestructible plant - actually a nice looking, non-blooming, green groundcover that puts out lateral roots like there's no tomorrow. Hope this suggestion helps. You could probably do it yourself..just get a good number of plants, space them out, and it probably won't take that long until they take root and take off.

Best,
    Keith

• westfieldma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the response, Keith! I've been told that my hill is too sunny for pachysandra which is too bad because a bunch of people have offered to let me poach from their own beds. I've decided not to repeat the hydroseed even at a bargain price. Since the guy isn't a horticulturist I think I'd be sending good money after bad.

Chris

• three4rd
    16 years ago

Too sunny........really? My mom has pachysandra all over her beds in full sun for the most part. I think it'd be worth a try. It is a pretty tough (read: virtually indestructible) plant in my opinion. How about creeping sedum???? That'll take full sun.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Don't don't do the crown vetch...after a couple of years there is a lot of dead stuff in the planting that not only is an ugly mess but also a fire hazard. The state of Iowa at one time seeded lots of highway banks with crownvetch....and after lots of fires they are getting rid of it.
    How about that old stand by day lily?
    The pachysandra will stand full sun if it gets lots of water...but that is not likely on a steep slope.
    Linda C

• westfieldma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up on daylilly, Linda! I'm checking it out and it looks like it could be a major part of my answer. According to classygroundcovers.com it is good for erosion control, likes full sun, tolerates bad soil and is hardy to zone 3.

BTW - googling daylily brought me to the classygroundcovers.com website. Their category search is a great way to zero in on groundcovers to address various circumstances.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting