Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulch or Lava rock?

Posted by iliketrees none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 12:24

I am preparing to do some landscaping around the house. I would like to use either black lava rock or black mulch and am looking for pros and cons of using both. Obviously the rock is more expensive but I won't need to change it every year. I plan on using fabric underneath and wondering how each will perform with weeds. This is my first landscaping project so I appreciate any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulch or Lava rock?

Don't use fabric.
And don't use rocks.

I would use only mulch- it degrades and nourishes the earth, it keeps moisture in the soil, and helps keep roots cool.
Plus when you refresh it every year or so it makes everything look all new again.
Rocks, once put down, are forever and someday somehow you will want them gone and be unable to gather them all up. You'll be forced to hire neighborhood kids for a penny a rock.
They just become unsightly and bake everything underneath.
As far as the fabric there are varying viewpoints but I do not find that it suppresses weeds all that well (birds still drop seeds that germinate on top) and there is evidence that it disrupts gas exchange and beneficial soil organisms. Roots need air.

o

Second that!! I agree with everything in the previous post - no rocks, no weed cloth. Both create a lot more work than they prevent.

o

Dirt drifts into the rocks and then you get weeds growing in it anyhow. Mulch feeds the soil, is easy to work through.

o

Rock would probably be better at blocking weeds, but wouldn't black rock get awfully hot in the summer, and cook the plants?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here