Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toothdoc78

Rock vs. mulch for landscaping around house

toothdoc78
11 years ago

While I am well aware of the benefits of mulch for landscaping/plant health, I am torn on what material to use for our current landscaping project.

Some background: We have hired a landscaping company to basically redo all the landscaping surrounding our home. All the beds are directly around the house with the exception of one small area around the mailbox. We have a metal landscape edging. Currently there is mulch in these areas. Most of the plants will be replaced, with the exception of perennials that will be moved/split.

The landscape architect suggested rock with felt weed barrier for the majority of the landscaping, with the exception of two raised mulch areas to break things up a bit. I believe he plans on using river rock and a generic brown mulch.

My main concerns with the landscaping is something that is relatively low maintenance. My husband and I both work full time and have two small children, and with the exception of maybe planting a few flowers in the spring, I'm not much of a gardener. Another concern though is how there area looks/"feels". Our neighborhood is very "natural" and it is frowned upon to have anything that is extremely manicured or fake looking (we are not allowed to use brick retaining walls, only natural boulders, for example). Stone is not prohibited but is discouraged.

I, however, would prefer the stone to the unkempt weed infested mulch that currently surrounds the house. My other concern is both drainage and pest control. This material will be surrounding the house on all sides, touching the foundation, so pest control is a definite concern. We do have a pest control company, but their termite control program is extra and quite expensive. We also have a significant problem right now with chipmunks burrowing around in the beds. I'm assuming the stone would deter this?

Sorry for the long post, but I really am stumped on what to do here! Is there a type of stone that looks more "mulch-like" than the river rock (not lava rock please but more brown tones)? Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz