Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to tell what is what

Posted by Amillerzone5 z5b ON (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 12:27

I don't have any pictures of my groundcovers but was wondering if someone can recommend a site so I can get the names of these.

I have ajuga not sure what type but has beautiful purple spikes in the spring.Also have one that looks like strings of rosettes, will reroot wherever it touches. Also have one that I think is a creeper of somesort, this one get walked on and no problem, bright green leaves on shutes that reroot where ever it goes. I think this one could easily become invasive.

Like I said, need help identigying these any recommended sites to look up?

Thanks another newbie.
Nett

Another one with little geen leaves get yellow flowers in the spring/summer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to tell what is what

Have yo uttied ging to a nursery and seeing if you recognise your plants there? Or take a piece with you and ask. It's hard to identify plants from a written description.

o

the hortiplex has some ID pictures you can use... I think the ajuga takes names from the foliage color (they pretty much all have purple flowers) its common name is bugleweed.

the string of rosettes is either hens and chicks (has a fancy name the succulent forum would know) some kind of sedum- mine looks like that, then grows longer 'stems' and becomes strands of single diamond-shaped leaves over the season.

and personally, I have no problem with invasive 'stepables' since I'd rather have them than a dratted lawn- I'm trying to plant mine with mints, ajugas, and chamomile.

o

• Posted by Skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 20, 05 at 12:20

Your best bet will definitely be to have somebody look at them. Snip off a long enough piece that it has at least a few full size leaves on it, wrap it in a moist paper towel so it doesn't shrivel up, and take it to a good local garden center--not a box store--and have somebody in the perennial department look at them.

Good luck,
Skybird

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here