Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving my sedum

Posted by gimpytwice 5b ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 05 at 12:46

I have a beautiful sedum growing along the front fence but between the squirrels and neighbors children alot of it has been damaged .I think the name of it is black dragon
Can I transplant it to another location without killing it,it would be in the next 2 weeks that I would want to do it if possible.
Thanks to you all,Sharyl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving my sedum

All the sedums I have seem to be Realy tough. I haven't killed one yet.

o

same here- I've had sedums that I moved, and not only did they do just fine, but several of the bits that broke off en route took hold in odd crevices of the walk way!

they're resilliant plants, and so far, not even hard freezes have hurt mine.

o

I move my sedums when it's 90 degrees and they still settle in just fine!

o

Sedum is also pretty easily rooted, so you may want to take some cuttings and establish new plants.

o

Ditto with mine. I've moved an Autumn Joy sedum three times and it never even pouted with me.

o

I think I bought about 5 Autumn J. Sedum last week (I just know they're called Sedum). Would they grow in an area that gets some sun in the morning and tends to be a bit dry? I'm in zone 7.

o

My autum joy are on the east side of my deck they get sun till about 11:00 . They are in a pot I water about once a week.

o

.. My experience has been that they grow well in any type soil (unless it is way too rich) and that they will flower even if they have been in dappled shade. I never have any problems moving them around and even dividing them all summer. They are the most hardy perennials I know about.

o

When is the best tie to divide sedum autumn joy? how often should it be done? how close together should they be planted?

o

Hello Delaney: for dividing, the rule of thumb is to divide at the opposite time from when the plants bloom. So a fall blooming plant like Sedum Autumn Joy should be divided in the spring when it is first coming up. But perennials that bloom early in the spring should be divided and moved early in the fall, when the worst of the summer heat is behind you - yet there is still lots of time for the plant to get established. Good luck!

o

I rooted some pieces in water and placed them into pots inside during an Edmonton winter. The plants didn't do to well inside, but survived. I put into the garden in the spring and they flourished and one sent out a shoot that I covered with soil and another plant started.

o

• Posted by
    Janice L. Jaworsky Kansas
    (jaws4@cox.net) on
    Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 16:33

I have my great-grandfathers sedum which has been moved (and divided) many times since 1959 (and at all times of the year). Wonderful memories for my grandchildren are being passed on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here