Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To Tall Autumn Joy Sedum

Posted by plantzman z7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 05 at 13:47

I have very healthy Autumn JOy and it is now entering its third season. The problem is that last year it is grew so tall that it fell over from weight of the blossoms. A local lanscaper suggested that once they getup to about 12-14 " I should cut them back down a bit. She said they would continue to grow but not as tall.Has any one tried that or experienced heavy Sedum blossoms making the plant fall over.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To Tall Autumn Joy Sedum

I just got back from chatting with a friend about this same plant and she suggested I cut mine back. This is the second year we have it and I'm a little hesitant to go chopping it down. Would love to hear what others have to say.

o

Yes it will work. Same for chrysanthemums that get floppy- just don't trim it after July 4th or so, let it make blooms!

o

Is it okay to cut back the chrysanthemums now? I hadn't thought of that. I'm always afraid to cut my plants for fear of killing them. No wonder mine are all tall and willowy.

I did cut back my Sedum. Thanks.

o

Here in Stafford, VA, if I want my chrysanthemums to be mounded instead of sprawling, up until mid-August we cut them back to about 6" high every time they get about 9-12" high. Otherwise they get too leggy. After mid-August let them go. Of course this could vary with different varieties of mums and also the micro-climate you have them in. Mine only get sun from noon forward. I use a manual hedge clipper but my next door neighbor uses a weed whacker (string trimmer).

o

:) round here they die back to the crown every winter, so they're always putting out 'new' growth, so I've never had to worry about them flopping...

however, I break off half a dozen of the 'stems' from around the base of the plant every spring, and root them. that's why I, my mom, and my MiL all have nice clumps ;)

o

I just cut back one of my sedums that will flop. Did it last year and it worked! Also, I read that they flop because the soil is too rich. So it may be a good idea not to fertilize them.

o

My Autumn Joy were devoured by the deer. Never had a problem with sedum in previous home...and I thought this was one plant they rarely ate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here