Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugle...but which one?

Posted by plantRN SoCal zone10 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 05 at 14:10

I need the most drought tolerant Bugle there is...anyone have a suggestion? I am try to decide between Bugle and Yellow Moss Sedum for a full-sun slope. All suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugle...but which one?

• Posted by Skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 18, 05 at 21:47

Hi PlantRN,

In my experience, Ajuga really isn't very drought tolerant at all, and it would be a lot happier in less sun than you're describing. I think you'd be a lot happier with the results if you use the Sedum. Sedum acre is the one you're talking about, isn't it--it has a lot of different common names. Sedum acre is a succulent, so it's drought tolerant right from the day you plant it, though it will spread faster if you water it regularly in the beginning. However..... It can become invasive! It spreads on the surface, so if you keep it under control from the very beginning, you'll probably be ok. But..... Any little pieces that fall off will root where ever they land! So watch out for that too!

You could also consider your regular California purple ice plant--I don't know the botanical name, but I'm sure you know what I mean! And another possibility is Mexican Evening Primrose, Oenothera berlandieri 'Siskiyou'. This one is invasive too, and it spreads underground so it's harder to control, if that's going to be a problem for you, but they bloom for a long time and are real pretty.

Good luck,
Skybird

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here