Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
not_a_contessa

I found a pretty groundcover

not_a_contessa
15 years ago

We stopped at WallyWorld yesterday looking for petunias, didn't find any that I wanted, but I did find some 6-packs of Ajuga. They are identified only as Ajuga, and when I looked them up on-line they appear to be Toffee Chip. They are a variegated variety which should be a nice contrast for the foliage of my Astilbe. I thought the Ajuga was a great bargain at just under $7 for 6 plants!!

Mary

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

More likely to be just 'Variegata' or 'Silver Glow' - 'Toffee Chip' is a relatively recent introduction and is patented, so illegal to sell without a proper label indicating name and patent number. And I doubt it would be selling for that very low price :-)

• not_a_contessa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks gardengal, it is most likely Variegata, and it most closely matches the picture on this site. The grower is Fernlea, but they don't show Variegata on their website. I am really happy to have found it, I hope it grows well for me, and I especially appreciate the price being a SCFI (senior citizen fixed income LOL).

Thanks again, Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Ajuga Variegata

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Mary, there was no photo (at least that I could see) in the link you gave, but I googled it and it is indeed a pretty plant.

Maybe I should take a look for this. I've tried several times to get Burgundy Glow established without luck. Perhaps I'd have better luck with this!

:)
    Dee

• not_a_contessa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Dee, how strange, I get the picture every time I click on that link, but I'm glad you were able to find a picture. I hope you are able to get some at Wally's, they had only a few plants at the one I go to.

Mary

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Mary, it is strange! I get the whole page, but a big yellow area with no photo. Go figure, lol.

But I did google it. I know lots of people swear off ajuga because it can be invasive, but I do love it, and so far mine has been fairly well-behaved.

Well, the Burgundy Glow died out on me twice or more, so THAT one isn't invasive for me, lol, but I have an unknown variety (from a swap) that has burgundy-ish leaves and is very nice. I do so love the variegated ones, though, so I'm glad you posted about this. Thanks!

:)
    Dee

• not_a_contessa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, it survived the winter nicely, and bloomed for me beautifully. Here it is next to my Astilbe foliage. The soil here can be rather boggy, in the shade, and both plants are happy, so is Phlox Paniculata Frostfire. I still don't know the name of this Ajuga, but really, it couldn't be more beautiful. I love it.

Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:850156}}

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH