Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoshia_gw

Ground cover in place of lawn?

zoshia
13 years ago

I'm looking to replace my lawn with a ground cover.

I live in Portland Or, Zone 8, rich clay soil, and full sun in the summer time.

I would like something that is fast growing, fairly low to the ground and evergreen. Oh and it would be great if watering didnt matter too much as well as we only have three months of hot & dry weather up here.

Does anyone have any ideas.

Oh and it's not that large of an area one section of 6x8 and another of 12x13

thanks!

Comments (3)

• becky_pacificnw
    13 years ago

I really like Vinca Minor because it grows fast and is evergreen, I recently took some from my mom's garden and it transplanted great! It is already growing and spreading and it has only been about 2 months.
    We just bought our first house a few months ago and we have an acre that needs A LOT of work. So I have been ripping up endless amounts of blackberries, salmonberries, and fireweed. But I know that I need to put shrubs and groundcovers in or they will all just come back. My mom has the same problems with those weeds, and where her vinca minor is growing, there are no weeds coming out of the area. Plus the plant always looks great, I really like the variegated vinca minor.

Becky

• Krnja
    11 years ago

Does anyone know or had experience with Thymus Serpyllum Coccienus? Or similar ground cover? I am in Atlanta ,Georgia.
    Krnja

• trinigal
    11 years ago

I use white dutch clover. It stays low in sunny areas, nourishes the soil, and is not invasive.