Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ground cover for very large area

Posted by cattac none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 16:49

Hi,

If anyone feels up to it, I'm looking for some ground cover suggestions. My requirements are pretty extreme, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's nothing to match them, but here they are anyway:

- Cover a large field (3 to 4 acres)
- Aggressive growth to choke out grass and weeds
- Evergreen
- Full sun
- Drought resistant
- Zone 8a
- Max height of 1 to 2 ft
- low maintenance

The idea is to keep the property from becoming an unmanageable burden as my parents age, so the appearance doesn't matter as long as it stays short.

I'm sure a similar question has been answered before, but I don't know enough about gardening to find it.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ground cover for very large area

unfortunately, this isn't drought tolerant but gonna share it anyway, since I was about to post a question about it. Sounded really sturdy. Check it out. Called white cupflower.

http://www.stepables.com/5/Mazus_reptans_Alba.html

o

I don't know if you want acres of it, but Siberian cypress fits the bill. Not cheap, though.

o

Thank you both for the suggestions.

o

I found a link in my search for ground covers. Jeepers Creepers website. unsure of the reliability but this site has a lot of covers. I suggest you do research regarding invasiveness and other factors.

Here is a link that might be useful: plants that you can walk on

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here