Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinca Minor (Myrtle)

Posted by dug22 Western PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 17:25

I have a hillside that is covered mostly with Vinca Minor (Myrtle)and is growing very well on most of the hillside. There are some bare spots and thin areas and I would like to fill those areas from the areas that are thick and full.
What is the best way to do this ?
Can I cut plugs with a bulb planter ?
When is the best time of year to do this ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinca Minor (Myrtle)

Actually being, perhaps, too patient, I would amend the soil in the sparse areas, depending on the invasive tendencies of the Vinca to move in. If the soil was suitable the Vinca would already be there, since it's design is to cover our entire planet.

o

I have amended those sparse areas with an inch or 2 of leaf compost from the municipality where I live and loosened the soil with a digging bar and pick-ax. Do you think it would be a good idea to spread some nitrogen rich fertilizer to promote growth to these areas ?

o

Knowing how nothing stops it here, it is a mystery to me.
I, generally, do not try to force growth with high Nitrogen and I use slow-release sorts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here