Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaru

Groundcover recommendation

Javaru
10 years ago

Hello... I'm a relatively new homeowner (with no prior gardening knowledge) that is finally tackling some lawn & garden needs this year.

The Space
I have a two strips in front. One is 1 foot by 10 foot strip between my front walk and the side of my garage; the second is a 1 foot by 6 foot strip between my sidewalk and front porch. Both areas are contained by sidewalk or foundation on all sides. It gets good evening direct light. The ground is a layer of gardening soil over clay like soil. Zone 5b with strong winter winds in that spot.

Plant Type
I 'd like to fill both area with some type of ground cover. I'm thinking a different variety for each space. I'd like something that is:
1) Evergreen
2) Flowering would be nice, but not critical; two different types with different flowering times would be great.
3) I'm OK with having to trim it back a few times a year, but would prefer not to have to out there every week or two to trim it back from the sidewalk.
4) Low growing (1' or less ideally)
5) Something that can choke out weeds. Those spots seem to be weed magnets. I think it's the way the wind blows as I get lots of leaves in that corner in the fall and snow drifts in the winter.
6) I'm not worried about it being invasive via spreading since it is contained on all sides. But I would like to be eco-conscious and avoid anything that is invasive via berry consumption by animals/birds (like english ivy is) or blown seeds.

I'd like to get two different types of ground cover; one for each strip so as to have some variety. I'm thinking of dwarf periwinkle (vinca minor) for the strip in front of the porch. As best as I can tell, it meets my criteria. But I'm not 100% sold on it yet.

Recommendations and comments appreciated :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH