Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water tolerant groundcovers

Posted by lindley CT (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 08 at 18:41

Is there a shady groundcover that will tolerate being planted in standing water? Our neighbor built her house about 10 feet higher than ours, then paved much of her yard so that we now receive most of her run-off along out driveway. We also have a much beloved tall privet hedge between us, under which I will plant the groundcover. When it rains, water stands in place sometimes for a week. As summer progresses, the area is dryer, but it never truly dries out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water tolerant groundcovers

Hi,

I think most plants will rot in these conditions. You probably need to build the area up with some dirt and/or rocks, something to level out the ground. Then you have lots more options, and you wont be constantly replacing plants that dont make it. Just my opinion.

Jen

o

The little moneywort, Lysmachia nummelaria, can tolerate being underwater for a while and would probably thrive. A highly invasive plant, but Houtonia is worse. In time, you may find you need a sump-pump under your house. The hay-scented fern might tolerate full sun with enough water.

o

Sounds like my water garden- or what I call my watergarden! It catches the run off from the roof. Because the water crashes down there I don't put anything in the crash zone- however I have planted the edges. It is wet for days after a rain but also dries on top.

Here's what is happy there- these might be too tall for your needs.
Clustered bell flower ( campanula)
golden creeping jenny (lysimachia)
variegated lysimachia called golden alexander ( I've seen this one in a pond too)
bloody dock ( might have died or still dormant- Ist try on that one)
variegated japanese iris- new- not tested
laevevvia japanese iris- new not tested and badly mispelled!

not a groundcover but happy :
iris pseudacorus trying the variegated form there which is shorter now.
siberian iris ( can be a pond marginal)
and near the wet spot but not in-
bulb camassia

Tropicals I might move out there after digging it deeper and when warmer-
Cyperus papyrus
umbella papyrus ( can take it a bit drier and shorter than the cyperus papyrus)

Hows that grab yah?
karen zone 5 with 40 inches rain per year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here