Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
camrye1

Ground cover in Tennessee questions...large area

Camrye1
10 years ago

I have well over 100'x10' stretch on a hillside that I am wanting to cover behind my house. It gets full sun for the most part of the day. The majority of the topsoil has been washed away but there are still some spots of grass/weeds that remain. I need something that will grow moderate to fast and cover that area. Most of my windows look out to this hillside and I'd like to make it look nicer and to keep the chirt from washing down into my back yard. I am in Tennessee, I believe zone 6b. I would like to have a nice evergreen so it looks nice in the winter as well. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Comments (6)

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

While not evergreen in all areas clovers such as white dutch and crimson are good groundcovers and good for the soil.

Is this an area that will see foot traffic?

• Camrye1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No it won't see any foot traffic but I do have a couple dogs. I took some pics but I don't know how to upload from my phone. After looking at it again it's probably 150' or more and maybe 15' up the hill.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

I'd try a mix of rye grass, white and crimson clover. Then add some native wildflowers like red sage, coneflowers, blackeyed susans, coreopsis, California poppies, phlox, and wine cups.

Some shrubs and small trees would also help. Witchazel, blueberries, serviceberry, redbuds, dogwoods and crabapples would look good there.

• User
    10 years ago

Camrye,
    Wow. That's going to be expensive.
    I had to landscape a hill smaller than that and it costs a fortune.
    Just do it a little at a time, that way you will see what takes and what doesn't before spending too much.
    Ornamental grasses that don't need alot of water, and daylillies are also easy growers for a hill. Little care and good for erosion.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

Does not have to be expensive with some patience.
    jcalhoun suggested a nice list.
    Check with your local cooperative extension. Mine has an early spring, order in advance, coop plant sale. A bit late this year but they could help with easy and recommended local plants for your area. Natives are often less expensive.
    They may put you in contact with a neighbor that will offer cuttings and help you get an area established. A plant exchange may be up-coming on the calendar, etc.

When i bought my property, i found all of the above. My first year i researched.
    My first early spring i picked up my order of rooted 'twigs'. I had over a hundred native trees, shrubs, ground covers...service berry, pines, red twig dogwood, etc. (i did not spend much more than 50 bucks)

I had no idea what i was doing but gave them each a quick sliver of a hole.

Fast forward a few years and now i am giving back. I have a few hundred red twig
    cuttings rooting, my rudbeckia took over so i'm potting up that to give away. Taking plugs of wild native thyme groundcover. (a neighbor did that for me years ago).
    Common milkweed...i have about a 1/2 acre....seeds offered for free all over the place.

Take an early morning drive, when us gardeners are out fussing, and look for similar landscape that you like. Slow down, wave, and compliment their landscape...haha.
    They just might have a minute to share some information, or not. : )
    I get that all the time, but they usually think i'm the landscaper and want to hire me.
    (i'm always so filthy and dirt covered, lol)

-I still have a big bag of milkweed seed pods i could send, free. I don't even ask for shipping costs. Check with your extension service first to see if it is ok in your area.

• jcalhoun
    9 years ago

Great story.

Sponsored