Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well-behaved groundcover(s) that will drape over stone walls?

Posted by lmarks z6 NY (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 20:35

I have a couple of tiers of rock retaining wall that need softening. Are there any groundcover plants that would drape over the edge? Maybe the vine forum is really where I should be heading. Forgive me, I'm new at this! The site varies between partial shade and deep shade. I'd also love plants that would grow in the crevices between the stones - but maybe that's a question for the rock garden forum! Argh. Anyway, I first thought "groundcover" because it probably needs to be something shallow-rooted - the retaining walls look like they're dry-stacked but actually have cinder-block reinforcement behind them, with just about 3" of soil on top of the cinderblocks. So something that creeps nicely up to the edge of the wall, and perhaps over it, is probably a good place to start.
Thanks for your patience with my incoherence.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well-behaved groundcover(s) that will drape over stone walls?

There is a neighborhood house which has a short stone wall at the entrance, along the driveway, and they have creeping phlox (phlox subulata) which hangs over the wall and is absolutely spectacular this time of year. I never paid attention to their sun/shade situation, but I think there is a large tree on the other side of the driveway, so it may be part sun/part shade. I know that phlox can grow in lean, rocky soil, so it may be able to live in crevices. I do think it needs more sun, though.

Depending on how high your walls are, I've often seen pictures of a certain kind of thyme hanging over a wall. Darn, I can see the actual picture - it's been used in several catalogs for years now - but I can't think of the kind of thyme, and again, don't know the sun requirements.

Sorry I can't be of more personal-experience-type help. I'm still waiting to be able to build stone walls on my property! Good luck!

:)
Dee

o

Creeping phlox will work well, but make sure you get the right one - Phlox subulata is a rock garden plant and prefers (needs) full sun, Phlox stolonifera is a native woodland plant and will grow and flower in much shadier conditions. Others to consider are mossy saxifrage and Saxifraga umbrosa (London Pride) or the groundcover forms of Campanula, like portenschlagiana or poscharskyana (Dalmation or Serbian bellflower).

Again, thyme needs full sun to do well. Some stonecrops will also work in a partial shade condition.

o

in sun saponaria is nice aubrieta also. I mix them in with creeping phlox they flower at slightly different times.

o

Thank you all! I'm delighted to have these suggestions.

o

• Posted by dian57 M-H Valley NY-5 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 2, 06 at 5:59

I'm very partial to cerastium (snow in summer) for cascading over walls. It's sage foliage and airy white blooms appeal to me tremendously. I've been surprised that some people think of it as invasive. It's been fine for me in a small raised garden bed of hostas and lilies. I've had limited success with phlox on my property whereas the cerastium seems to tolerate my neglect.

Check it out: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/77014/

o

Creeping lysimachia "Copper Penny". You can't beat it for beautiful gold colored round leaves and it grows on virtually anything.

o

my favorites are the cerastium and vinca minor. My vinca does well in shade and sun. and you have a wide variety of leaves and flower color. and if you have a wall to hand down from it would be lovely. Some people call it invasive but if you have wall or concrete on both sides it is not a problem.

o

You can try alyssum. I used to have a bed of 'Carpet of Snow' and it was indestructible. I recently saw seeds for 'Mountain Gold' on the web and I'm thinking about getting it. Nice color - in the photo anyway...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here