Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jm30_gw

Drought tolerant groundcover suggestions

jm30
15 years ago

This question kind of belongs in the lawns forum also, but I'm going to start it here. I have an area in my 1 acre lot that is about 30' x 50' that I have difficulty growing grass. I've lived here for 3 years and it's the same every year; I sow grass in the spring, it's looks good until about July, then after the slightest dry spell it is dead for the rest of the year. I finally figured out this spring that there is a huge slab of bedrock under this area. The soil in places is only about 5" deep, 8" at the max. So of course this is why I can't keep the grass growing. Luckily it's in the backyard, but it's too far away to keep constantly watered in the hot summer. And the amount of topsoil it would require to build this area up, and then blend it back into the lay of the land is way too much. Does anyone have any suggestions for a drought tolerant groundcover, that would grow in soil this shallow? I have plenty of flat river rock from a nearby river that I could use to outline the area and keep the groundcover in. I don't know, I'm at a loss on how to make this area look good and look like something intentional. I've also actually thought of shoveling out all the dirt and trying to make a natural looking patio area. I'm open to any suggestions.

Comments (3)