Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Save my cousin's yard!

Posted by johnsaunt 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 08 at 21:01

My beloved, but crazy, cousin is about to put artificial turf in her small back yard because between the dogs (all rescued) and grandchildren and the shade from a gorgeous old tree, she can't grow a lawn. I told her that y'all would have better suggestions for a ground cover that would look good and handle the animals. She lives in Dallas. I'm afraid that the astroturf, even though it has holes in it for the rain, will smother the tree roots.

What do you suggest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Save my cousin's yard!

Why not river rock? About the only things dogs will not destroy. They use it lot in Colorado for xeriscaping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

I don't think that rocks would be very nice for her little grandkids to play on. I need suggestions for something green. Surely you can come up with something attractive; I told her that gardenweb could supply the perfect solution. Otherwise it's going to be AstroTurf!

o

johnsaunt, there was recently a small thread on the perennials forum about hair cap moss. I'd never heard of it, so I read the post, and I think that I actually have tons of this stuff.

It was here when I bought the house, covering almost a quarter of my yard. It is in poor soil, in areas with rock ledge so I assume the soil is fairly shallow, and gets at least half day shade with morning sun (some areas in deeper, longer shade).

It is absolutely wonderful to walk on in bare feet when it is not dried out, so the kids should love it, and seems to take pretty heavy traffic. Again, I'm not absolutely sure that this is what I have, but it seems to be.

I've never in my life attempted to actually plant a moss, so I'm not sure what is required. I put a link below to some info on hair cap moss, and here are a few links to vendors that I randomly picked off of a google search, so I have no idea as to the vendors' reputations, but just wanted to show that I can this stuff can be purchased.

http://www.mossacres.com/product_haircap_moss.asp

http://www.tripplebrookfarm.com/iplants/Polytrichum.html

I hope this is of some help!
:)
Dee

P.S. Several descriptions say this can get to 12" tall, but mine is only about 2" tall, and on further research I found that there is a range from 2" to 12".

Here is a link that might be useful: hair cap moss

o

That looks interesting, Dee. Thanks for the links. I'll pass it on to my cousin.
Ginny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here