Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thyme, irish moss, sand or sun tolerant moss between pavers

Posted by jillyluis 6A (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 21:05

We are completing our hardscaping, and we will have somewhere around 500-700 SQ of cobblestones (>1000 stones!yikes). I had planned on putting either irish moss, or thyme in, but then came across sun tolerant moss. And then I did the math, and thought, wow, that is a lot of cracks to fill and more importantly to weed. We need to have the water drain, so impermeable sand is not an option. Which of the four options would be the lowest maintenance? I'd appreciate anyones' thoughts on the beauty v. maintenance of thyme v. irish moss v. sun-tolerant moss v. permeable sand. I have big gardening dreams, but have a full time job and a toddler.
TYIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thyme, irish moss, sand or sun tolerant moss between pavers

Depends on how sunny it is, how fast the underlying material drains and how frequently you need/wish to water. Both Irish and Scotch mosses like rich soil and plenty of water. Thyme likes it hot, lean and on the dry side. I am not very familiar with sun tolerant mosses although I'd suspect they'd be both hard to find and moisture lovers.

Weeds will grow up through anything - you just need to be prepared to weed from time to time to keep things tidy. If using only the permeable sand then much easier to use some sort of herbicide to keep weeds in check.

o
RE: Thyme, irish moss, sand or sun tolerant moss between pavers

Thank you, that is very helpful. I'm leaning toward sand for the driveway and thyme for the courtyard.
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here