Return to the Groundcovers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for GC under sweet gum w/exposed roots?

Posted by faerybutterflye 7B OK (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 23:03

Hi folks, we just moved to a new house with a huge sweet gum tree in the front yard. I love the shade, but man, the roots are exposed so badly! I'm looking for ideas for a ground cover to spread rapidly to cover the base of the tree & the shady section of the yard underneath it. The roots are so exposed that the soil is very shallow, so how would that factor into your choice? Any ideas?

My mom has some Commelina cyanea with the blue flowers & I was considering taking cuttings off that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for GC under sweet gum w/exposed roots?

• Posted by bmoo z6 NJ (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 18:06

I realize this post was a while ago, but I just saw it today. Anyway, if you're still looking for answers, we had a similar issue, although our tree was surrounded by grass. The roots came up just like your photo, making mowing a real headache.

Last fall we had a bunch of landscaping done and the solution for this problem was to add a couple of inches of top soil and plant ground cover in that. We had a whole bunch of vinca that we needed to move from another bed so that's what we put in. It seems to be settling in nicely.

From what we learned at that time, the key point is to cover the roots by no more than 2 inches of soil but that adding that amount should be okay. You might want to verify that advice yourself, but so far (10 months later) tree and vinca seem to be doing fine.

o
RE: Ideas for GC under sweet gum w/exposed roots?

Covering a tree with more dirt is dangerous. Don't surround the trunk with dirt! That would make it rot.

Moss likes shallow dirt. Clover makes fertilizer, so there would be an added benefit to planting that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Groundcovers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here